Monday, August 27, 2012

16 Miles of Unexpected Ups and Downs

After taking a much needed rest day yesterday (forced upon me due to my running watch having dead batteries), I got up at 5am this morning to beat the heat and run the longest distance yet in my training: 16 miles. The plan was to run out to Iroquois Park ~5 miles south of the house, run 3 miles of the loop, then reverse course and run home. There is a water fountain out there, and I figured on my way back I could stop in a corner store and get more water. Also, I expected a nice smooth uphill climb out, then downhill on the way home. Much like this elevation chart produced by MapMyRun.com:
Instead, here is the actual elevation chart as recorded by my GPS watch:
Not smooth at all. I suppose this is what I get for not having driven the course first, but hey, I'm still getting used to this city. And as such, I had no idea that most corner stores did not open until 9am at the earliest. So on the 5 miles back home I was really struggling for some water, or Gatorade, or even a soda. But nothing was open! I finally came upon a water fountain near UofL, and wouldn't you know it, it didn't work. I did eventually make it back home, very hot and dehydrated, and proceeded to drink and entire gallon of Gatorade. I'll likely spend the rest of my day with my legs propped up to prevent swelling and a constant supply of ice water to drink.

But, at least its done. And next week's long run is only one more mile than this. With better planning, I think that one will be quite manageable.

No comments:

Post a Comment